Exercise can relieve back pain while improving back function. (Reference)
If you exercise regularly and end up with back pain, you may have to give up exercising, even if you are aware of the benefits of exercise for back pain. What you really need to do is to ask your physiotherapist to recommend an active stretching and exercise regimen.
7 things to remember when you exercise to relieve back pain
Some tips if you suffer from back pain during exercise:
- Avoid pushing yourself
- If it really hurts, don’t ignore it
- That pain may indicate injury
- Exercise slowly and stick to your comfort zone
- It is normal to feel some soreness when you start exercising. But sharp stabs of pain are not normal. See your doc
- Find out the right way to exercise and breathe properly
- Stretch after your muscles are warmed up. You can warm up with walking, enjoying a warm shower/bath or with gentle movements.