Even a small health problem can really get us down – and perhaps the worst of them is a problem with digestion. Ok – a headache can also seem like the end of life – but let’s talk about digestive health today.A healthy colon promotes better health. There is a lot of information about colon cleansing, laxatives, purging and so on if you browse the internet. But you may never need to heed all that if you develop smart colon habits. These are:
- Make sure you eat a balanced diet that has sufficient dietary fiber (this includes the soluble and insoluble kind) This means unsifted and unprocessed grains and cereals, fruit and vegetables, legumes. (You might like: why whole grains in our diet)
- Consume foods that are rich in oligosaccharides. For example, asparagus, onions, garlic, mushrooms
- Include yogurt in your daily diet along with fermented milk products.
- You may want to consider microflora supplements with Lactobacilli, or Bifidobacteria – talk to your doc before you do this, though.
- Drink plenty of water every day to hydrate your system and regulate bowel movements.
- Get regular exercise from brisk walks to rev up your metabolism and keep that digestive system functioning smoothly.
- De-stress – as too much stress can result in diarrhea or constipation. Try relaxation techniques.