Here is a really nice checklist to refer to before your doctor’s visit. It is worth printing and sticking on your medical file! Why not get the most from your health check?
Before the visit:
- Complete a copy of the Healthwise Self-Care Checklist and take it with you.
- Take a list of any medications you are currently taking.
- If you have seen a doctor before for a similar problem, take the record from the visit with you.
During the visit:
- State your main problem first.
- Describe your symptoms (use the Healthwise Self-Care Checklist).
- Describe your past experiences with the same problem.
After the visit, write down:
- What’s wrong.
- What might happen next.
- What you can do at home.
For medications, tests, and treatments, you may want to ask:
- What’s the name of the medication (or test, or procedure)?
- Why do I need it?
- What are the risks?
- Are there alternatives?
- What happens if I do nothing?
- (For medications) How do I take this?
- (For tests) How do I prepare?
At the end of the visit, ask:
- Do I need to return for another visit?
- Can I phone in for test results?
- What danger signs should I look for?
- When do I need to report back about my condition?
- What else do I need to know?