Easy Exercises to Lose Weight
No matter how you see it, maintaining a healthy weight can seem like a challenge at one time or the other, even if you are pretty close to your ideal weight. There will be days when you indulge. The regret comes later. If you normally stick to a healthy diet, defaulting once or twice seems okay. Sometimes it can be really hard not to be tempted. However, excess weight can cause health problems in the long run. You know what they say – health is wealth – and that’s the truth. The good news is, it is not that hard to stay healthy.
How, you ask? That’s what this post is all about.
Easy exercises to lose weight
You only have to remember three things:
- A healthy diet
- Healthy eating habits
- A moderate exercise routine (notice I didn’t use strong words)
Yes, a healthy diet is slightly different from healthy eating habits – I follow a healthy diet. But there are days when I don’t maintain regular meal times – and when you eat is as important as what you eat.
So let me get you started on the road to maintaining a healthy weight.
Easy exercises to lose weight
It is a fact that if the calories you eat exceed the calories you burn, you are off to a pretty good start in gaining weight. One way to burn off the excess calories is exercise. Physical activity. If you are working on losing weight, include a moderate exercise plan to help your body adjust and lose it. Here are some simple ways to include exercise.
(A word of caution: Check your fitness level and consult your doctor if you are under medication for any existing health issues.)
One of the best exercises – and perhaps the most effective – is walking. You need no equipment save a pair of shoes. Yep, it is cheap. You can walk whenever you like. When you walk regularly, the benefits are equal to other forms of exercise such as jogging. So begin with a ten minute walk, twice a day. Gradually step it up to 15 minutes, then 20 minutes. When you walk, walk briskly. Swing your arms as you walk. Even better if you walk up a slope – that can mean some cardio exercise as well. Your goal must be to walk at least thirty minutes a day. Regularly.
Struggling with excess weight? Swimming is a great way to help you lose it quicker than walking. Swim twice a week for 15 minutes, to start with. Then, build it up to 30 minutes a day. See the difference.
Start by cycling for 10 to 15 minutes a day and work it up to 30 minutes. Raise the rate at which you cycle, without feeling the strain. Prefer to jog? Do it! Just make sure you have a good pair of running shoes with proper support for your feet.
The above ways to exercise are cheap, and bring you long term health benefits. I am not fond of jogging. I don’t know how to swim. My butt aches when I sit on a bicycle. So I stick to walking, which I enjoy. Some years ago, I also signed up with an aerobics class – it was a fun way of keeping fit.
Yoga is great too.
Here’s a great chart that suggests some more easy exercises to lose weight
Whatever you do, don’t just jump in. Begin with baby steps and increase your workout time gradually. Don’t forget to review your progress. I find it is always nicer to buddy up with someone. But since that’s not always possible, I make do with my camera for company. Remember, consistent effort brings results.
Besides the easy exercises to lose weight let’s look at some health tips to help get rid of those extra pounds, as you become healthier in the process. Sounds good?
Here we go!
- Never skip meals. Within an hour of waking up, get a nutritious healthy breakfast to get your day off a great start
- Write down your daily exercise routine. Believe me, when you see it in writing, it takes you closer to successful weight loss. On a weekly basis, make increments.
- Minimize your fast food intake, especially if you are aiming to lose weight.
- Keep a food journal along with an exercise journal. Write down every little thing you do to maintain a healthy diet and every bit of exercise you do. Each time you look back, you’ll feel inspired to think you’ve come this far.
- Make healthy snack choices. In fact, I suggest you pack your own snack. Buying a pack of something from your local store may seem convenient, but packaged stuff is full of sugar, fat or salt and will certainly not speed up your weight loss. To see progress in your healthy weight goal, you want to ensure you minimize your sugar, salt and fat intake.
- Don’t deny yourself so much that you end up binge-eating. Love pizza? Plan. Enjoy it once in a while. But stop at one, or two pieces. Once a week, it is okay to have a meal you enjoy. Just make healthy choices.
- The problem is, calories add up pretty quickly. Eating a little at a time throughout the day won’t help unless you’ve got a professional diet plan that keeps you within your daily calorie intake limit. You can easily put on weight by simply consuming 200 extra calories a day. Even licking, tasting, just that one bite – it all adds up.
- Try and keep each meal light. Eating more than you need only gets stored as fat. Overeating slows down the fat burning process.
- Plan your snacks and meals way ahead of time. And keep healthy snacks handy. Hungry before dinner time? Nibble on baby carrots.
- Opt for a low calorie frozen dinner every once in a while. Add a salad with low fat dressing and a slice of fruit.
- Portion sizes are another thing – controlling these will take you closer to your weight loss goal. One easy way to do this is use smaller plates.
Here’s a great weight loss tip that works for me:
Here’s a great trick that works.
I call it diet labels. Get brightly colored labels or stickers. Here is what you write on appropriate food items:
Oops! This is NOT on my diet!
Wow! Great snack!
Eat just one, Okay 2
High fiber? Great choice!
Yikes! High fat/sugar
I tell you, it works!
Don’t let the word diet trigger worry lines on your face.
Here are 7 weight loss tips you will love.
I am putting together a few healthy recipes for my next post. Stay tuned.
Have health tips to add?
Please share in the comments!