How to Avoid Sinus Pain and Congestion
Sinus pain is usually triggered by colds, flu, allergens, and pollutants. While some people suffer seasonal allergies others have a bad time throughout the year. Studies show that allergies top the list when it comes to listing the causes for sinus infections and congestion, closely followed by the common cold and flu.
Here are tips to avoid a sinus infection and the congestion it causes, or at the very least, keep an infection at bay.
- Wash your hands often, particularly during cold weather since viruses have a longer lifespan on surfaces you touch.
- Remember to get your flu shot as preventing the flu might prevent that sinus infection.
- Eat a nutritious and well balanced diet.
- Get regular exercise as this can strengthen your immune system.
- Quit smoking as it irritates your sinuses.
- A humidifier can help as dryness triggers sinus pain. Steam inhalation works.
- Go easy on antibiotics. While these are effective for bacterial infections, they have no effect on viruses. Too many antibiotics can also make you drug resistant.
- Nasal saline solutions help. You can get them over the counter. Ensure that it does not have a decongestant.
If you already suffer from allergies or have a weak immune system, sinus pain can be worse. Living a healthy lifestyle and practicing good hygiene can go a long way in helping you relieve sinus pain.